Writeup on Vocational Service
Vocational Corner …. “ENGAGE ROTARY… CHANGE LIVES “
Vocational Service is one of Rotary’s five Avenues of Service. Through Vocational Service Rotarians are expected to adhere to and promote high ethical Standards in all their business dealings, recognize the worthiness of all useful occupations and contribute their professional Expertise and Skills to addressing societal problems and needs.
The Four Way Test was conceived in 1932 by Rotarian Herbert Taylor of the RC of Chicago who served as President of RI in 1954-55. Having been assigned the task of saving a company from bankruptcy, Taylor developed the test as an ethical guide to follow in all business matters. The Company’s Survival was credited to this simple philosophy! Since then the Four Way Test remains an essential standard against which Rotarians measure their ethical behavior.
Some ideas for Vocational Service Activities your Club can undertake:
- Classification Talks are one of a great way to promote Vocational Service in your club.
- Organizing tours of members’ workplaces is another way to recognize the value of each member’s Vocation.
- Consider inviting young people to participate to get firsthand knowledge about various occupations may help them to make sound career choices. You can also use this opportunity to introduce future prospective members to your club.
- Mentor a young person, by sharing your knowledge, skills & Values to help prepare your Mentee to succeed in his or her Academic and Vocational pursuits.
- Clubs are encouraged to develop their own Award Programs to recognize Rotarians & Non Rotarians for demonstrating Outstanding Commitment to the principles of Vocational Service.
Rotarians — let us therefore all join hands and commit to Vocational Service by leveraging professional opportunities to Engage Rotary, Change Lives. Through Vocational Service initiatives we can engage Rotary at our work place and by combining Professional Expertise and Service we can have a positive impact on Local and international Communities.
PP Nanu Lachman
District 3450 Vocational Service Chair 2013-14